If you’ve got a dual-SIM phone, you can use the different SIM cards to make calls using separate numbers, and send texts using different numbers. But did you know that you can set up dual WhatsApp accounts, and use them both on the same phone? If you’ve ever wondered how to install two WhatsApp accounts on one phone, then you’ve come to the right place. There are a few different ways to do this, and some phone-makers are offering this as a built in feature. In other cases, you’ll have to resort to third-party apps instead, but it’s actually pretty easy to run two WhatsApp accounts on one Android phone. Sorry iPhone users, you are out of luck without resorting to the kind of methods we wouldn’t recommend.
Obviously, this method of running two WhatsApp accounts on one phone requires a dual-SIM phone – WhatsApp uses the phone number as your identity, and detects this via an SMS or call, so it has to be a phone with two SIM cards, which also out any iPhone. If you have a dual-SIM phone though, then the next step should be to check your settings, because it’s quite possible that the manufacturer has already created settings or dual WhatsApp.
Many Chinese manufacturers allow you to create clones of apps, which can then be used with a dual-SIM setup. For example, on Honor’s EMUI skin, the feature is called App Twin. On Xiaomi phones it’s called Dual Apps. Vivo calls it App Clone, while Oppo calls it Clone App. The way each of these companies has set it up varies a little, so you’ll want to check specific information for your handset, but we’ve listed the steps for some of the popular brands first. In case your phone doesn’t support this feature, there’s one more workaround you can try, listed at the end.
Here are the detailed steps to run two WhatsApp accounts on your Xiaomi phone, but it’s very similar for the other two as well:
- After you’ve installed WhatsApp, go to Settings.
- Tap on Dual Apps. On Honor phones this is called App Twin, and on Oppo it’s Clone App.
- You’ll see a list of apps that can work with the feature, and toggles on the side. Turn the toggle on to clone any app.
That’s it, you’re done. Check if your manufacturer supports app cloning as well, and if yes, then these steps should work to get a second copy of WhatsApp on your phone. It’s a little different on a Vivo phone, so we’ll just explain that first, and then talk about how to set up the second WhatsApp.
Setting up Dual WhatsApp
Setting up your second WhatsApp account is extremely simple, just like setting up the first one. In case you’ve got any doubts though, here are the detailed steps.
- Start the second WhatsApp.
- On the next page, tap on Agree and Continue.
- Next, you can grant files and contacts access to this copy of WhatsApp by tapping Continue and following on-screen instructions, or tap on Not now for now.
- Now, you have to verify your phone number. This is the crucial part – remember, it has to be the second SIM phone number, if you type in you primary number you’re just shifting WhatsApp access from one app to the next.
- Once you’ve typed in your number, tap Next, then confirm the number by tapping on OK.
- WhatsApp will then send a verification code to check the number, which it will auto-read if you’ve granted permissions. Otherwise, just type in the verification number, and you’re good to go. In case you don’t get the SMS, you can also tap the Call button on-screen to get a verification phone call.